- ABOUT AKUH
- IBAGRADS approach for AKUH Testprep
- Programs Offered by AKUH
- ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
- FEE & SCHOLARSHIPS
- ADMISSION PROCESS at AKUH
Chartered in 1983, the Aga Khan University (AKU) is an international private university that currently operates in South and Central Asia, East Africa and the United Kingdom. It is a unique hybrid: an institution of academic excellence that is also an agent for social development. AKU occupies a pivotal place in the Aga Khan Development Network, a group of development agencies working under the leadership of His Highness the Aga Khan and contributes in major ways to social development. AKU prioritises higher education and research initiatives relevant to the problems of the societies in which it operates, generally in the developing world.
PROGRAMMES OFFERED AT AKUH IN Pakistan
IBAGRADS approach for AKUH Testprep
IBAGRADS prepares its students for the AKUH test through MCAT(Medical Colleges Admission Test). This course is comprised of four subjects: Science Reasoning, Mathematics Reasoning, Biology, Chemistry and Physics
Programs Offered by AKUH
Our undergraduate programs will prepare you to make meaningful contributions and improve the quality of life of those around you.
You will learn to apply classroom theory and academic research to solve challenges in the developing world. For those who have a passion for making a difference, our transparent, merit-based admissions process and generous financial assistance mean that a diversity of high caliber students are able to attend AKU.
Candidates in Pakistan or overseas, who have successfully completed or are completing their HSSC/graduate/postgraduate education by the summer of 2019 and meet the eligibility criteria for the relevant programme as indicated in this brochure may apply.
REQUIREMENTS FOR ELIGIBILITY
The Medical College has no preference for any particular type of preparation and qualification. Candidates prepared in Urdu or English-medium institutions, in Pakistan or overseas, who have successfully completed or are completing their HSSC/graduate/postgraduate education by the summer of 2019 and meet the eligibility criteria may apply. Candidates must present qualifications that are appropriate to the system of education in which they have been prepared. The University will evaluate applications on the basis of the candidate’s achievements in the most current academic qualification. Candidates from Pakistan and overseas who have pursued diverse curricula and present different qualifications are evaluated in comparison with others presenting the same or similar qualifications. During evaluation, no attempt is made to relate achievements in diverse educational systems to a numerical equivalent of the qualification in Pakistan. In addition to meeting minimum academic eligibility requirements and successfully completing the University’s admission processes as stated in this brochure for AKU, all candidates must meet the Pakistan Medical and Dental Council (PMDC) requirements and regulations applicable at the time of admission to medical colleges in Pakistan. Currently this includes submission of test scores conducted by agencies at the International, National or Provincial level. Brief details have been provided in this brochure. Candidates are encouraged to review the PMDC website (pmdc.org.pk) for detailed information.
The minimum academic requirements following different systems of education, to be eligible to apply, are outlined here. For further clarification, candidates are requested to write to email@example.com
PAKISTANI SYSTEM OF EDUCATION
- Secondary School Certificate (SSC) in science group.
- Higher Secondary School Certificate (HSSC) in pre-medical group with a minimum aggregate of 60%.
O-LEVEL AND PAKISTANI HSSC SYSTEM OF EDUCATION
- Candidates must have satisfactorily completed Ordinary Level (O-Level) with at least six subjects
- including English, biology, chemistry and physics. Higher Secondary School Certificate (HSSC) in pre-medical group with a minimum aggregate of 60%.
BRITISH OR EQUIVALENT ADVANCED LEVEL CERTIFICATES OF EDUCATION
- Candidates either applying from Pakistan or overseas must have satisfactorily completed Ordinary Level
- (O-Level) with at least six subjects including English, biology, chemistry and physics. Advanced Level (A-Level) with minimum “B grade” in each of the three subjects. The subjects must include biology, chemistry and physics.
- Candidates studying or applying from overseas may also apply with mathematics in lieu of physics.
- Additional requirement for students studying/applying from overseas. To meet Pakistan Medical and Dental Council (PMDC) requirements, candidates applying / studying in the British system or equivalent (overseas) must submit in addition to the equivalence certificate, the SAT II (subject test) in biology, chemistry and physics/mathematics upon selection. The PMDC minimum requirement is 550 in each subject.
- Please review PMDC website for more details: pmdc.org.pk. The SAT II, Advance Placements, IBCC equivalence or conversion of grades into percentage will not be acceptable as a substitute for the Advanced Level grades. Advanced Subsidiary Level grades are not acceptable in lieu of Advanced Level grades.
AMERICAN AND CANADIAN HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA
- Candidates applying from Pakistan and overseas must present evidence of satisfactory completion of the High School with a minimum CGPA of 3.25 on a 4-point scale or equivalent, 85% or Grade B as assessed by their home institution.
- Candidates must have studied biology, chemistry and physics at High School level. Candidates studying or applying from overseas have an option to apply with mathematics in lieu of physics.
- Candidates applying from Pakistan and overseas must submit SAT II (subject test) in biology, chemistry and physics. The minimum requirement is 650 in each subject. These minimum scores are required to meet AKU eligibility requirements.
- Candidates studying or applying from overseas have an option to apply with mathematics in lieu of physics.
INTERNATIONAL BACCALAUREATE DIPLOMA
- Candidates applying from Pakistan and overseas must have completed the International Baccalaureate (IB) with a minimum overall achievement of 32 points.
- Candidates should have studied biology and chemistry; and physics or mathematics at either the higher or the standard/subsidiary level.
- Additional requirement for students studying/applying from overseas To meet PMDC requirements, candidates applying / studying IB overseas must submit in addition to the equivalence certificate, the SAT II (subject test) in biology, chemistry and physics/mathematics upon selection. The PMDC minimum requirement is 550 in each subject. Please review PMDC website for more details: pmdc.org.pk
INDIGENOUS HIGHER SECONDARY SCHOOL CERTIFICATES OF EDUCATION
- Candidates having studied in systems of education not mentioned in the earlier sections will be considered only if they provide evidence of satisfactory completion of a Higher Secondary School Certificate of education/equivalent with at least 60% achievement or equivalent. Equivalence from the IBCC stating that the qualifications are equivalent to the High School qualifications in Pakistan will be required.
- To meet PMDC requirements, all candidates in this category i.e. following a ‘local’ system of education or equivalent, must submit SAT II (subject test) in biology, chemistry and physics/mathematics upon selection. The PMDC minimum requirement is 550 in each subject. Please review PMDC website for more details: pmdc.org.pk
FEE & SCHOLARSHIPS
Students are categorized to pay foreign or the local rate of tuition based on University regulations adapted from provisions established by the regulatory body when offers of admission are made.
FEE STRUCTURE 2018 WAS
Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS)
|Application Fee||One time||5,800||300|
|Admission Fee||One time5||120,000||2,100|
|Graduation Fee||One time||15,700||155|
|Physical Examination Fee||One time||10,800||105|
|Security Deposit (refundable)||One time||10,000||200|
|Student Activity Fee||One time||2,600||25|
|Student Health Fee||Annual||13,200||135|
|Student Immunization Fee4||On Actual Basis||–||–|
ADMISSION PROCESS at AKUH
- Submitting an application according to the eligibility requirements of AKU.
- For MBBS: Writing the AKU Test or submitting its equivalent: SAT I /MCAT, as applicable. Please refer to relevant section in this document.
There will be 120 questions in five sub-sections
|Science reasoning||(30 questions)|
|Mathematics reasoning||(30 questions)|
0.25 Negative marking will be considered in biology, physics and chemistry only.
- Interviews for shortlisted candidates: Shortlisting of candidates is based on the applicable Test or its equivalent.The number of candidates interviewed is limited.
- Additional requirements for candidates applying to the MBBS Programme
Submission of Application Form II and reference letters. Submission of Provincial/ Centralised Test results as mandated by PMDC. Please review PMDC website for details (pmdc.org.pk).
Final Selection: Shortlisted candidates are rank ordered based upon a comprehensive review of scholastic achievements, interview evaluations; reference letters, academic, extra-curricular and co curricular accomplishments.